i have made the decision to start a new little series on sundays… i figure sundays are relaxing, rest days, and i wanted to do a post that was pretty straightforward and easy to browse through. so the following are a few things i’ve been loving:
1. i’m a huge fan of wearing white dresses during the summer. in one of my recent posts i mentioned how it’s almost all i wear, and that’s pretty true. this article has so many great suggestions for ways to style them.
2. this book has appeared on so many summer reading lists i’ve seen, so i decided to add it to mine.
3. there are quite a few husband and wife duos in the most recent edition of matchbook, and i love it. one of the bigger focuses of this edition is interior design, and each spread has a fun, summery appeal.
4. i am a big fan of walk the moon, but i didn’t discover this song until recently. now i’m obsessed, and i think you will be too.
5. decorating is one of my favorite things, and since discovering this cheers sign i can’t get it out of my head. hanging near a dining area or the hall outside our kitchen in my dorm next year seems close to perfect to me.
6. hello shirt dress that seems to be made for me. the print and the material are great for summer, but can easily be taken into fall.
7. the title of my blog definitely gives away the fact i love beauty, so i couldn’t be more excited to find this new blog, the sparkle. it’s a great lifestyle blog that has the perfect beauty balance going on.
8. last but not least, this ring is pretty cool. the only issue is i can’t really wear rings because they never fit my fingers. it’s a lion so it’s meant to be because i’m a leo, and it happens to come in a size 8 (not only 6 and 7, like usual), so this one may just work.
for the past few days i’ve been in the city, learning the tricks of the trade for my summer internship, and like many others i’ve been trying to channel my inner carrie bradshaw. the summer before my first year of college i watched every single episode of sex and the city. i was hooked. i’d start a new episode and feel like i was seeing how my future could be; i’ve always wanted to live in the city, i love writing, i love fashion, and i love my friends, so i saw my life quasi-mirrored in the show (emphasis on quasi). somehow this show gave new york city a new type of allure (not that it didn’t have enough already). to me this quote from tom wolfe is perfect, “one belongs to new york instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years”, and i could see carrie saying it, because it couldn’t be more true. let alone amplify my love for the city, satc helped fix my pre-college freakout. i kid you not, there were nights i’d lie awake wondering if i’d make friends, if i’d do well… basically flat out panicking, but then i’d watch a few episodes and bam, i would sleep like a baby. so on the 15th anniversary i’d like to thank sex and the city, and especially carrie bradshaw, for helping me create my own ”young woman taking on new york” vision of my future. who knows if i’m a carrie, but hopefully by being a meg (a.k.a moi) whatever happens to me will be just as amazing (pardon me for being cheesy, but i have to speak the truth).
happy memorial day to all! for our family, memorial day has always been a day to remember those who serve our country, and those who served in the past. my dad always hangs up the american flag and marine corps flag (in memory of my grandpa), and since i’ve been younger it always seemed really special to me. i also feel like memorial day weekend is the kickoff for the rest of the summer. even though it’s been raining for the majority of the weekend, yesterday and today were clear so i hope the weather keeps up. anyhow, tomorrow morning i am heading to texas, san antonio to be exact, for the western conference finals (if memphis wins tonight). i couldn’t be more excited, seeing that the farthest place i’ve been to in the united states is chicago, and i was a baby so i don’t think it counts… i definitely think i’ll feel like i’m in a different world, but i am so ready. now all i’m hoping is that i can survive the heat and humidity, and by me surviving, i mean my hair.
going into my second semester of sophomore year, influenced by the new year, i made a list of things i wanted to do: get up earlier, wear high heels, read more, go on adventures, and so on… at the end of the school year i made another list, which was more realistic and a result of my second semester experiences.
- i can drink coffee… if i add in more than an equal share of milk and vanilla flavoring and ice. lots of ice.
- i am at my most productive when I am listening to certain pandora playlists: oldies and rap. to be more specific: american pie, with or without you, and losing my religion playlist or 99 problems, hypnotize, a$ap rocky, and kanye west and jay-z. can’t study without them.
- i can’t function on less than five hours of sleep. i can try (which I have), but by the end of the day, or nine o’clock, i am seriously struggling.
- i may say i’m going to finally get around to reading books i want to read, but it isn’t happening. that’s what summer’s for. so to all of my books waiting for me in my nook reader, i’m sorry. i’m trying to hurry though.
- classical studies as a minor could not have been a better choice for me. during the times i thought i couldn’t take business classes any longer, roman archaeology or classical mythology was there to keep me sane.
- i am definitely a procrastinator, but a productive one. if i don’t want to finish one assignment i will complete everything else first. it’s bad (but it’s good), but sometimes really bad.
- i might have an “organizational problem.”
- heels ain’t happening. for special occasions, yes, but even putting booties on made me want to wear flats, sandals, or my lo-top converse.
- adventures can happen, but sometimes you just need to go for it. planning may help, but when you’re always doing work there comes the time when you need to let go. this summer i definitely plan on more “adventures”, and next school year i already have a few places to visit.
- yeah, i can eat healthy meals, but it is mostly due to a sweetgreen addiction. i could eat a salad from there every single day. thanks to the sweetgreen app, it makes this addiction easier… so it may be time to delete that.
during the school year i am extremely lucky/grateful to be an editor for her campus georgetown. i started off as a writer during my freshman year, which actually was the first year of our branch’s publication, and it has been one of my favorite experiences at georgetown. to top it off i get to do some pretty great articles, and the last one of the school year is an example of that. for the final piece i was able to interview inslee haynes, which was something i couldn’t have been more excited about since she happens to be one of my role models, and i figured a lot of georgetown girls would feel the same! before i even went to georgetown i used to go through her blog daily to catch up on her recent illustrations and whenever i saw them in publications i would get so excited (vicarious living i guess). after college inslee lived in dc and then moved to new york, so i am doing something pretty similar (living in dc for college, and moving back to new york after school), so i guess it could be called a residency reversal of sorts. one of my favorite parts of the interview happened to be something i wasn’t expecting. her favorite life quote, “this too shall pass”, happens to be our family quote and my favorite “line.” my grandpa used to always say this, my mom has it embroidered on her beach bag, and it’s honestly something i always say and live by. anyhow, if you check out this link you can read the entirety of the interview!
i am back in good ol’ new york, and finally i feel like i can sleep! while unpacking my room i have also been preparing for a new job, so it’s been nothing short of busy. not to mention i injured my hand so it is currently wrapped in a little cast, making typing not too easy. once my room is done (i’ll post about it) i can finally feel settled in. one of the upsides of coming home is feeling like you don’t have to dress up, basically it’s okay to live in workout pants and t-shirts. i’ve realized i need to break this pattern and fast, so here are some outfits i am absolutely loving. (this also took me forever to type, i miss my fully functioning hand)
coming up with a blog post is not always easy to do. whenever i do get an idea i’ll write it down right away, but most of the time i don’t have a set way of doing things. one of my biggest inspirations does come from photos. at one time i will have multiple photos splayed across my desktop, grouped into little clusters, just waiting to be picked. the tricky part is deciding what to write about them. at the same time it happens to be the best part, because that’s where i get my prime ramblings that usually end up being something. i mean yesterday i went from instagram to harry potter… i didn’t even mean to make that connection and i just did. if anything, my life in lipstick has taught me that things happen… life happens. you can’t always plan everything out, sometimes you just have to just wait and see what’s in store. i guess the photos i’ve chosen are an example of that. they may be similar in color tone (to some extent), but they just happen to be of things i love, or like, or wish to see one day. together they have meaning, and while it may not be completely planned out, as anything goes in life, it’s what you make of it.
on monday i had my last class of sophomore year. my LAST class!! see, i’m the kind of person who freaks out about these kinds of things. i get emotional and reflect on the whole entire year, then begin to wonder where the time went, and then the endless cycle has begun. the good thing is that before i let my life become a whirlwind of feelings and emotions i remember that i do have finals and studying needs to occur. so as i sit here and write this post, i’m also in the process of making my roman archaeology study guide. oddly enough i am looking forward to this test (if that’s possible), but it’s because i actually love the class. it doesn’t help that i have don’t you forget about me playing on pandora and all i want to do is watch the breakfast club. (i know you guys would want to do the same) so maybe i should focus right now, which i swear i will, but in one of my final classes the other day we received some advice from one of my favorite professors. i realized i went off track all the way up to this point, but i feel like my ramblings somehow connect to each other by the end of my posts. it was something that was right up my alley, as my friends proceeded to point out while i copied down everything she said word for word. when she was speaking i thought to myself this is exactly how i feel, and i admit (not like it’s hard to) i love inspirational quotes and sayings so i wanted to pass it on. thank you professor thompson!!
on happiness: “remember that happiness is not what happens when we become a success at something. happiness is the ability to appreciate fully who you are, what you have, and life the way it is now.”